Spleen Tea #1
Use either dry turmeric (spices) or fresh sliced turmeric root. If you only have turmeric powder you could try adding 1 to 2 teaspoons or more but I would add it when you add the tea. Since the spices are toasted before crushing and simmering add fresh turmeric at the same time as you add the fresh ginger.
- 2 tablespoon dried turmeric pieces or 3-inch piece fresh turmeric, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 12 star anise
- 2 tablespoon cardamom pods
- 3-inch piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 6 cups filtered water
- 6 tablespoons rooibos tea
- Almond milk to serve
- Raw honey to taste
- Combine turmeric (if using dry pieces), fennel, cinnamon stick, cloves, peppercorns, star anise and cardamom in a skillet over medium high-heat and toast until fragrant bout 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pulse a few times in a spice grinder or crush spices with the end of a flat rolling pin or jar.
- Add to a medium saucepan along with ginger (add fresh turmeric now if you didn’t use dry) and water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover pot, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add rooibos tea, cover and allow to steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain and place back into the pot.
- Add ½ cup almond milk per cup (2 cups in total), whisk while mixture starts to simmer.
- Stir again if needed (sometimes you will see a bit of separation when almond milk heats but it should come together again after a quick whisk).
- Add honey to taste. Pour into mug and enjoy warm.
Serves about 4