Sourdough Bread Starters
|Make sure all ingredients are stone-ground and organic|
Use some of your sauerkraut juice to mix with organic, whole wheat flour to get your sourdough bread starter going! Only organic, 100% whole grain bread flours are recommended for baking: wheat, spelt, rye, barley, kamut, oat, and teff.
Basic Starter Recipe - using Probiotics
- 1C of sauerkraut juice
- 1C organic, 100% whole wheat, stone-ground pastry flour
- Place sauerkraut juice and flour in a 1 litre glass jar and mix
- Cover with cloth and secure with a rubber band
- Allow to stand 6-12 hours in a dark place
- Mix starter in with more flour (approx. 4C) and water (if needed)
- Knead the bread and obtain a dough consistency as though you were about to bake the bread;
- Now let the lump of dough stand (covered with a towel) for another 12-24 hours in a warm place (about 77 degrees is fine).
- Now roll out the bread and bake in the manner desired
- If baked in a bread pan, cook at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (or until done).
Adapted from: Craig Wm. Peters Article