Kidney Soup #1
Black and Kidney Bean Soup
The kidneys work closely with the endocrine system to filter, reabsorb, and secrete. Kidney beans funnily are great for your kidneys. You can toss them in a salad, or mix together with quinoa, another kidney cleansing food, and some olive oil for a side dish or try this cleansing and nourishing black bean and kidney bean soup.
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro/coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 1 cup dried kidney beans
- 2 inch slice of ginger root, minced
- 1 celery stick, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 5 curry leaves (available at Indian grocery stores)
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- ½ cup fresh spinach leaves
- 6 cups filtered, or spring water
- One pinch cinnamon
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Pink Himalayan salt to taste
- Large stock pot
- Soak beans in water overnight. Drain and discard water.
- In a large stock pot, melt the organic coconut oil and fry black mustard seeds on medium-low heat until they pop (it takes very little time, usually under a minute).
- Add cumin, coriander, curry leaves, ginger and sauté for about one minute. Be careful not to burn the spices.
- Add the beans and stir once.
- Add the filtered or spring water, carrots, celery, cinnamon and turmeric and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes or until the beans are soft.
- Add the spinach and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 10 more minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!