General Health Salad #9
High in Anti-oxidants, Minerals & Vitamins
Quinoa, Buckwheat and Cranberry Salad
- 1 cup dry quinoa (rinse if you remember)
- 1/2 c. dry buckwheat groats (kasha)
- 3 c. water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 2 medium stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (toasted or raw)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. flax or hemp oil
- 3-4 Tbsp. agave nectar (optional)
- juice of 1/2-1 lemon (to taste)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Pour water into a pot and bring to the boil over high heat. Rinse quinoa well and add to pot with the buckwheat. Reduce heat to low, then cover and simmer without disturbing for 20 minutes. Uncover (all the water should be absorbed) and let sit until cool. Fluff with a fork and turn the quinoa into a large bowl. (Note: for a “cleaner” look, you can boil the grains separately from each other, then combine in a bowl to make the salad).
- Add walnuts, dried cranberries, celery, sunflower seeds, scallion, and cilantro (coriander) and toss to mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all the dressing ingredients with a whisk. Pour over salad and toss to coat evenly. May be served immediately or covered and refrigerated overnight.