General Health Salad #2
Heart Health & Anti-Oxidising
Rainbow Walnut Salad
This salad is quick, refreshing and enlivening! To play with this recipe, you can also put the salad filling into red cabbage as wraps, or add some diced mango to the mix!
- ½ head of green cabbage chopped
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- ⅓ cup cilantro (fresh coriander)
- ½ cup of red cabbage chopped
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, serve and enjoy!
- Walnuts have been studied for their ability to lower the risk of heart issues. The particular form of vitamin-E that is found in walnuts, known as gamma-tocopherol is most likely responsible for this heart protective effect.
- Walnuts may also help to lower LDL cholesterol as well as total cholesterol. They are also highly anti-inflammatory.
- Additionally, they are rich source of many phyto-chemical substances that may contribute to their overall anti-oxidant activity, including melatonin, ellagic acid, vitamin-E, carotenoids, and poly-phenolic compounds. These compounds are known to have potential health effects against cancer, aging, inflammation, and neurological diseases.
- They are also packed with many important B-complex groups of vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B-6, and folates and are a very are rich source of minerals such as manganese, copper, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and selenium.