Gallbladder Salad #3
For Aiding Fat Digestion
Spiced Apple and Beet Slaw
The betaine in the beets helps with fat digestion.
- 1 small bunch of beets, greens removed (preferably a week prior to fermenting) about 3 small to medium beets, peeled
- 3 medium apples, any kind you like preferably a sweeter apple
- Zest of one orange (optional)
- 1 inch knob of ginger
- Pinch of allspice
- Pinch of cloves
- 2 star anise (optional)
- 5 grams of fine grind Himalayan Pink salt (5 grams if your mixture equals 4 cups)
- You will need a .75 liter Jar (depending on the size of your beets you may need a 1 liter. Also go with 5 grams of salt for every 4 cups of loosely packed veggies before the salt is added)
- Shred the beets and apples. Grate the ginger on a microplane zester.
- In a small bowl toss this mixture with the spices and zest if using.
- Toss with the salt and let sit for about 20 - 30 minutes to allow the salt to pull moisture out of the beets to make brine.
- Place the beet mixture into your jar pressing down to keep the brine above the mixture.
- If using the star anise, add them in while packing your jar. You will simply remove them when you start to consume the slaw.
- Clamp the lid down and add water to the fill line in your jar
- Place in a dark cupboard and let ferment for 12-18 hours.
- Place in the refrigerator.
- The slaw is ready to eat at this point but gets better if let to sit a few days.