Fibre In Fruit
Health Benefits of Fruit
Fruit has been recognized as a good source of vitamins and minerals, and for their role in preventing vitamin C and vitamin A deficiencies. People who eat fruit as part of an overall healthy diet generally have a reduced risk of chronic diseases. We encourage you to include a variety of fruits for healthy eating.
For further information on serving sizes visit our Daily Nutrition page
Fruit are important sources of many nutrients, including potassium, fibre, vitamin C and folate (folic acid). Try incorporating blueberries, citrus fruits or organic strawberries which contain phytochemicals that are being studied for added health benefits.
Eating Fruit Provides Health Benefits
- The nutrients in fruit are vital for health and maintenance of your body. The potassium in fruit can reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke. Potassium may also reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and help to decrease bone loss as you age.
- Folate (folic acid) helps the body form red blood cells. Women of childbearing age who may become pregnant and those in the first trimester of pregnancy need adequate folate. Folate helps prevent neural tube birth defects, such as spina bifida.
- Eating a diet rich in fruit may reduce risk for stroke, other cardiovascular diseases and type-2 diabetes.
- A fruit containing eating pattern is part of an overall healthy diet and may protect against certain cancers.
- Fruit helps maintain optimum health due to the health promoting phytochemicals it contains – many of which are still being identified.
- 2.5 to 3 servings of fruit daily is recommended each day, depending on how many calories you need.
Fibre in Fruits
Whole fresh fruits are typically associated with good health and as being high in fiber. Passion fruit provides the most fiber with 24.5 grams (98% DV) per cup. Low in sugars and calories, berries are also a great source of fiber in fruits. The current daily value (%DV) for fiber is 25 grams. Fruits Ranked in order of highest to lowest fibre content.
- Whole Food Plant Based Plate
- The Four Food Groups
- Eat From The Rainbow
- DBM Food Pyramid
- Foods To Exclude From Your Diet