Apples & Apple Cider Vinegar
Different from the refined and distilled vinegars usually found in supermarkets, Natural Apple Cider Vinegar is made from fresh, crushed, organically grown apples and allowed to mature in tanks, which boosts its natural fermentation qualities. When mature, it contains a web-like substance, called "mother" that becomes visible when the rich brownish liquid is held to the light.
Tips for Using Apples
DBM COMMENT: The apple of choice in all DBM protocols is the Granny Smith apple
Eat the entire apple, except the core, and ensure that it is organic. Almost half of the Vitamin C content in an apple is just underneath the skin, and over two-thirds of the fibre and almost all of the antioxidants are found in the peel. In a report published by the Environmental Working Group, apples were found to be the fruit with the second highest levels of pesticides, so try to buy organic apples whenever possible. Please visit the Eat To Live: Cleaning Produce page through this link, for more information on cleaning your produce.
DBM Protocol - Adjunct Treatment - Gut Discomfort
- Treat stomach upsets with grated apple, left to turn brown and mixed with a little honey.
- The pectin in apples helps to regulate the digestive system and improves nutrient absorption.
DBM Protocol - Adjunct Treatment - General Health
Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar
Whilst not as tasty as lemon juice, ACV can replace the lemon juice in the lemon tea/water that our cleanse programs require. One tablespoon added to hot water with a dash of honey is acceptable.
- The standard 2 teaspoons in 8 oz (240 ml) of water 3x a day.
- For more severe conditions, we recommended 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 8 oz of water 3x a day 10 minutes before meals and again last thing at night, before going to bed.
- You may add some honey to taste
- Less vinegar, more water is an optimal way of taking apple cider vinegar daily unless you are treating an acute condition like acid reflux, cough, bronchitis, or sore throat (in which case the stronger concoction of 2 Tablespoons ACV to 8 oz (240 ml) of water 3x a day recipe is suggested).
- NO honey to be added
Daily maintenance, weight loss and pH balancing
- 2 teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar, 16 ounces (450ml) of water.
- Sip, don't chug!
- There are no side effects noted with normal consumption.
- The best way to incorporate it into your diet is to use it in your cooking, for salad dressings, etc.
- It is recommended to use organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with the “mother.”
- Apple cider vinegar also has various other non-health related uses like hair conditioning, skin care, dental care, pet use and as a cleaning agent (to name a few).
There are several things you will notice within a day or two of drinking Apple Cider Vinegar: your allergies will disappear, your face will have a healthy & youthful glow, you will look & feel more VITAL, you will have consistent energy, and you will more easily digest your food. We believe that apple cider vinegar is probably the best (and cheapest) detoxifier for the body. As such, it should be considered a critical component to the fountain of youth!