Anti-Cancer Soup #2
- 1/2 cup dried split peas
- cup dried beans (can use any variety)
- 4 cups water
- 4 medium onions chopped
- 6-8 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 leek stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 bunches kale, collard greens, or other greens, tough stems and center ribs removed and leaves chopped
- 5 pounds carrots, juiced (5-6 cups juice; see note)
- 2 bunches celery, juiced (2 cups juice; see note)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms (shiitake, cremini, and/or oyster), chopped
- Place the split peas, beans, and water in a very large pot over low heat.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the onions, zucchini, leeks, kale to the pot.
- Add the carrot juice, celery juice, and VegiZest.
- Simmer until the onions, zucchini, and leeks are soft, about 40min.
- Remove 2 cups of the soup liquid, being careful to leave the beans and at least half of the kale in the pot.
- Using a high-powered blender or food processor, blend the soup liquid with the cashews.
- Return the creamy mixture to the pot.
- Add the mushrooms and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the beans are soft.
Notes: Freshly juiced organic carrots and celery will maximize the flavour of this soup.